Looking for a Healthy, Nutritious, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Breakfast that will fill you up and leave you happy and satisfied until your next meal?
As a kid, our staple morning breakfast items were cereal and fruit. LIFE, Cheerios, Kix the list could go on for days. However, upon learning about the effects gluten can have in the body, and how common gluten intolerance can be in many individuals yet goes undetected, I try to avoid gluten and processed grains (I believe I may have a bit of gluten intolerance myself). I avoid milk/dairy products because of all the hormones injected in our farm animals, and I would just rather choose whole foods that be nutrition stars at all my meals. So what to do to get that cereal “fix”, that spoonful of cold milk with berries?!
Flaxseeds and Walnuts are both super high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids and act as great anti-inflammatory foods so I popped this in a bowl with unsweetened almond milk along with fresh organic strawberries and blueberries for a boost of antioxidants with a dash of cinnamon (shown to help regulate blood sugar and cravings) and VOILA! Magic just happened!
Not only did this do the cereal “fix” I was craving, but I was SO satisfied and lasted all the way until lunch which is typically NOT the case after breakfast for me personally. So if you are either
1. looking for Gluten/Grain/Wheat-Free, Anti-Inflammatory Breakfast Ideas
2. Looking to increase your Fruit or Omega 3 Fatty Acid intake, or above all…
3. Needing a breakfast to satisfy you until your next meal… well this is IT!
Go on, put the spoon in, fill up and ENJOY!
- 1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed *Organic if possible *Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts *Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Handful of Organic Blueberries *Super Antioxidant!!
- Handful of Organic Strawberries
- Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients, fill milk to the top, and dig in!
- Mix & match your berries or nuts to your liking – try a mix of almonds or pecans. As for fruit, berries are always your best bet, naturally sweet, and has a low glycemic index and won’t cause drastic sugar spikes – causing you to be hungry only an hour later! 😉
Nutrition: 450 kcal, 23 g Fat (0 g Trans, 2 g Sat, 4 g Mono-Unsat), 50 g carb, 13 g protein, 17 g Fiber (*Approximately According to MyFitnessPal.com)